DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
Take Back Our Republic (TBOR) is a $1MM+, eight-person non-profit educating the public on conservative solutions for campaign finance reform. Their mission is to become the leading organization in developing a culture in politics where character and ideas are the basis of being elected and that every election is financed with transparency by the people to be governed and not by outside special interests. TBOR engages in research, education, and advocacy in favor of returning political power to individuals. It seeks to end the system of escalating campaign contributions by corporations, labor unions and special interests that fuel government spending to ensure Americans trust the integrity of every election and trust that once elected, these officials will be focused on the good of their constituents.
Headquartered in Auburn Alabama, TBOR has grown to a $1.5 million dollar organization since 2015, has strong financial backing, an engaged Board, more than a hundred volunteer coordinators in 37 states, and a staff who stands by the mission.
TBOR seeks a Development Director to oversee strategic fundraising initiatives for the organization. In this new role, the DOD will serve as a key strategic partner to the Executive Director and Regional Chairs. S/he will create and implement successful systems to track donor activity and provide information to the Executive Director in advance of donor visits and coordinate donor follow up activity with the goal of increasing overall donor engagement, retention and support for Take Back Our Republic’s programs.
Reporting to the Deputy Executive Director, the Director of Development will have internal and occasionally external facing responsibilities. The DOD will collaborate across the organization to ensure new and existing fundraising/donor plans stay on track. Much of the work by the Development Director can be by phone, email or social media, however, there will be up to 30 percent travel in this role.
Take Back Our Republic is growing; a motivated, and organized Director of Development will have the opportunity to build upon a remarkable foundation that the Executive Director and TBOR team have laid out. Working on a national level with organizations across the political spectrum, s/he will work in partnership with the ED and Regional Chairs to build the donor pipeline and overall fundraising for the organization
- Partner with leadership to establish, monitor, and manage goals for TBOR’s first strategic plan.
- Develop the raw data of donor history and records of contacts for donors into a more cohesive and visionary strategic plan for fund development.
- Review regional fundraising plans and donor/foundation lists to target ideal ask amounts.
- Organize donor lists and identify fundraising needs/opportunities both internally and externally. Research, design, and facilitate viable solutions to meet those needs.
- Identify/cultivate new sources of funding; private, public and corporate/foundation sources.
- Participate in development activities including individual meetings with donors, prospects and constituent groups when appropriate.
- Assure that best practices are in place and that relevant and innovative fundraising messages are developed to fit the ideological spectrum.
- Partner with the communications consultant to prepare and maintain marketing materials for print and electronic communications.
- Partner with the part-time fundraising consultant regarding donors in states where trips are scheduled, adjust “ask amounts” based on a review of an individual or foundation giving history.
- Attend occasional events at which many existing and potential donors are in attendance and begin the cultivation process.
- Partner with the ED to plan and execute next steps with new and existing Donors.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ethical, principle-based leader who communicates high standards and expectations.
- Effective written, listening and oral communication skills.
- Experience in researching and writing grants.
- Knowledge of principles of institutional advancement, development and philanthropy.
- Demonstrated knowledge of techniques of donor cultivation and solicitation.
- A clear understanding of community leadership dynamics and volunteer development.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills. Willingness to take risks and solve problems creatively.
- Experience with financial operations, and process management.
- Proficiency with Microsoft office products and experience or ability to learn development software RevUp and Hubspot
- Enthusiasm, sense of humor and the ability to be flexible.
- Up to 30% travel
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited educational institution, and/or proven ability to raise funds, in the non-profit arena.
- Two years’ experience with some combination of private resource development: annual, capital, planned giving, and events fundraising in a college or non-profit (501(c)3) organization, or political campaign environment.
- Experience with volunteer development.
- Requires experience supervising volunteer leadership at local and/or national events a plus.
Compensation for the Director of Development includes health care benefits, generous vacation, sick leave, and a competitive non-profit salary commensurate with experience.
TBOR has retained the services of ThinkingAhead Executive Search, and asks that all inquiries and resume submissions go directly to ThinkingAhead and not to Take Back Our Republic. Please submit your resume, expression of interest and salary history/requirements to Jessica Martinez, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Take Back Our Republic provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.